October 21, 2016

Pop-Pop & family, circa 1930

Pop-Pop, Aunt Ethel, unknown, Zaida Zalman 

Uncle Lee asked: 
"Before Mom and Dad got married I know Mom lived in South Philly, but where did Dad live?" 

That question got Dad digging. Here's what he shared:
"I found the answers in Zaida's (Zalman or Solomen) naturalization papers and Mom and Dad's marriage license. 

When Dad was born he lived on a farm near Doylestown.  Soon after the family moved to 2141 S. American St. in South Philly. When Mom and Dad got married Dad was living with his parents at 4125 Westminister Ave. in West Philly near the Scrap Iron yard. After they married, they lived on Dickenson St. in South Philly. I was born while they lived on Dickenson St. When I was about 2 years old, they moved to 5134 Parkside Ave."
5134 Parkside Ave [zilllow.com]
Rayna chimed in: 
"The farm story is true!? My grandpa (Irving) told me about it, but I searched like crazy and never found a thing. He said it was in Jamison but I always wondered if it wasn't old age talking."

So Dad dug some more: 
"I have a copy of my Zaida’a Naturalization papers. It’s not in good shape, but on it I can read that the youngest child was Jake who was only 1 yr old. My Dad Ben is listed as 9 yrs old. Although the year is not legible, it would have to be 1914, since Ben was born in 1906. Aunt Riva, your grandfather Irving, and Aunt Ethel had not yet been born. The address on the Naturalization paper is 2441 S. American St. I assumed they lived on the farm before American St. If Irv talked about living on the farm, it would have to be after American St, and my assumption would have been wrong. Can you check the 1910, 1920, and 1930 census’ to see where they lived then. It should help shed some light on the stories. I know they lived on Westminister Ave in 1933 when my Dad got married. And in the 1940 census they lived on Hobart St. in Wynnfield."

No comments:

Post a Comment